Pages

Sunday, April 21, 2013

"Choo-choo! Look Who's Two!" Train Cake

Welcome back friends!

Saturday I told you about the train-themed birthday party I threw for my favorite little two-year-old. We had ride on trains, train-themed snacks, and a train cake! Conductor Luke was one happy birthday boy.


I said I'd share more about the cake, so here goes.

To be honest, it all started out quite simply - I was going to make a round cake, put some of Luke's tracks around it, and pipe his name on top. Nice and easy.

Then I realized I could do a two-layer cake with the tracks around it.

Or I could do a two-layer cake with the tracks on TOP of the bottom layer and around the top layer.

OR I could create the tracks out of cake...and make them swirl down both levels...and add grass!

Yeah...went kinda off track there.

But it turned out great, so it's okay, right?

Anyway, here's how it went:

I made two 9-in and one 6-in cakes (using my vanilla cake recipe copied below).


Once cooled, I added buttercream between the two 9-in layers, sliced the 6-in cake into two layers and filled with more buttercream, and stacked the cakes like I wanted.

Then, using toothpicks, I outlined the curve I wanted to get with the tracks. 

Finally, using a sharp, serrated knife, I carved out the tracks, following the lines made with the toothpicks. 

Tip: This works a lot better with chilled (or slightly frozen) cake. Just stick it in the freezer for a couple of hours before you start carving. 


Once carved, I added the crumb coat to the cake and put it back in the fridge to chill for a few more hours.

Then, I tinted a batch of vanilla buttercream icing a nice leaf green and iced the entire cake.

Next, I added additional green coloring to the remaining buttercream and, using Wilton tip #233, added grass to the edges, flat areas, and cardboard around the cake.

Finally, I used grey icing and Wilton tip #1A to make the tracks, adding small rectangles of brown sugar sheets to finish them off. 

Once at the party, we topped the cake with a train from Luke's collection and a bright blue "2" candle.


The cake was a hit - the birthday boy had two slices all on his own! Glad you enjoyed it, kiddo!


Fluffy Vanilla Cake
Ingredients
  • 2 1/2 c flour
  • 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1 c unsalted butter, room temperature
  • 1 1/2 c sugar
  • 4 egg whites, room temp
  • 1 tbsp real vanilla
  • 1 c sour cream

Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 350F and prepare pans.
  2. In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
  3. In the bowl of an electric mixer, beat butter and sugar til light and fluffy. Slowly add in egg whites, one at a time, beating well between each addition. Beat in vanilla.
  4. Alternately add dry ingredients and sour cream, bookending with the dry ingredients, and mix until just combined. 
  5. Divide batter among pans.
  6. Bake 30-35 min (til golden and cake is pulling away from sides.)
  7. Invert onto wire rack and let cool completely.

Enjoy! Til later, friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment