Pages

Sunday, September 3, 2017

Awaiting Ada: Labor Prep


Oh hey, y'all. It's been a minute, huh? Pregnancy got the most of me this time around, but I'm finally feeling back up to writing a bit. As I dip my toes back in to the blog world, I thought I'd share a bit about our last minute prep before Little Miss makes her appearance.

Sound good? Good. Here goes...

So, I’m going to try for a med-free labor this time around. I’m crazy, I know. But there are…extenuating circumstances (a story for another time, but it’s mainly concern over how my intestines will react to labor and wanting to feel how much strain I’m putting on my body).

To get ready, I’ve been reading up on calming techniques and how to manage pain without meds. As has happened more and more since The Bird was born, I keep coming back to essential oils. I have loved creating custom blends and balms for baby girl when she needs it, so why not try it for myself?

I kept my bag of tricks relatively simple: some smelling salts, some compress sprays, and some after-care products. I’m excited to see how these fare in the fray of things, but I have high hopes! Below is a quick recap of my stash.


Smelling Salts

Why Salts? 
I wanted some form of inhalant (since most of the benefits you get from oils is due to their aromatic qualities), and smelling salts are particularly suited to help with labor as they encourage deeper breathing. They stimulate your nasal passages and trigger the inhalant reflex, meaning you breathe deeper as you sniff – increasing oxygen flow and alertness!

Basic Recipe: Epsom Salts, Sea Salt, and Essential Oil Blends


My Choices:
  • “Calm” Blend: Lavender + Chamomile + Lemon
    • Plan to use it early, to keep anxiety and nerves at bay. Also anticipate it being useful later when sleep is fleeting
  • “Energize” Blend: Peppermint + Orange
    • Plan to use it when I’m feeling exhausted, weak, or just done with the whole process
  • “Ouch” Pain Relief Blend: Lavender + Bergamot + Frankincense
    • Plan to use it when contractions get intense and I need to remember to breathe

Compress Sprays

Why Sprays? 
Warm compresses have been a go-to this pregnancy, and I’m hoping they’ll continue to prove useful during labor. I’m packing several washcloths and will have The Boy run them under warm (or cool) water then spritz them with the appropriate blend when I need some relief. They’ll also be good for spritzing on my back for counter-pressure massage.

Basic Recipe: Carrier Oil, Witch Hazel, and Essential Oil Blends


My Choices:
  • “Breathe Baby” Labor blend: Lemon + Bergamot + Chamomile
    • To use with cool compresses on the back of my neck when I’m losing steam or need a break (should encourage alertness and calm)
  • “Cramp Calm” Labor blend: Lavender + Bergamot + Frankincense
    • To use with warm compresses on my belly when contractions are intense (should be calming and provide some pain relief)
  • “Push Prep” Labor blend: Geranium + Helichrysum 
    • To use with warm compresses as I prepare to push (should provide pain relief and has skin healing & repairing benefits)
  • “Peri Pamper” Aftercare blend: Frankincense + Lavender + Helichrysum
    • To use post-labor to soothe, heal, and tone 

Bath Sands

Why Sands? 
Because bath balls require a mold and drying time. But really, the sands allow me to customize how much I scoop into a bath depending on what I need. I plan on using these once home from the hospital as I heal and recover.

Basic Recipe: Baking Soda, Citric Acid, Arrowroot Powder, Epsom Salts, Coconut Oil, Witch Haze, and Essential Oil Blends


My Choices:
  • “Cramp Calm” Cramping/Pain Relief Blend: Lavender + Bergamot + Frankincense
    • For those early days when everything still hurts like crazy
  • “Soothing Sands” Healing Blend: Frankincense + Lavender + Helichrysum
    • To help tone, soothe, and heal 
  • “Sleepy Sands” Calming Blend: Lavender + Chamomile + Vanilla
    • To help calm nerves and anxiety and encourage restful sleep (also, it’s toddler friendly!)

Bonus Item: Peri Prep Balm

Basic Recipe: Evening Primrose Oil, Shea Butter, Beeswax, and Essential Oils (Geranium + Frankincense)


This is a pre-labor item I plan to start using next week (around week 36). It's designed to to help prepare the body for labor by building skin elasticity and can prompt dilation.

Now, I feel compelled to add: I am NOT an aromatherapist and cannot vouch for any of the above as legitimate. I do have a good friend who is a certified RA, and I consult with her regularly as I mix and use oils. I recommend finding a source of information you trust and reading up on oils and their uses before jumping in. I’ve done TONS of research over the past year and I had no clue how much I didn’t know! Only certain oils are safe for different ages/conditions/uses, and it’s important to use them with caution. I share this in case others find it interesting, but with that disclaimer: do your own research!

I’ll report back with how all of this goes – could be a rousing success, could be that I don’t even touch them at the hospital. We’ll see!

Getting SO excited to meet this baby girl! Can’t wait to tell y’all all about it!

No comments:

Post a Comment