Pages

Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Wedding Wednesdays: The Guest List


This isn't the happiest Wedding Wednesday post I've ever written, but I'm hoping that some of what I put out there will make other Brides-to-Be feel more comfortable/normal/understood. Sometimes we have to tell the truth about wedding planning. The truth that it isn't all fun and flowers. Sometimes it sucks.

Like now. Making a guest list sucks.

Let's just be honest about it guys.

While it should be a happy event where you round up all of your favorite people and collect their addresses so you can send out invitations to come watch you get married...it's actually a heart wrenching decision process where you're forced to rank people in to columns of "Must Invite," "Should Invite (but won't come)," "Should Invite (if there's room)," and "Wish We Could Invite (but can't afford to feed)."

Why do we have so many friends?!? I've already offered to go around poking people in the eye so they won't want to come anymore, but, then one of my Maids pointed out, "They'll just forgive you...and then you'll feel even worse for not inviting them."

Darn it.

When The Boy and I put together our initial list - which included everyone we'd want to come ever - we totaled out at around 330 guests.

Know how many our venue holds?

200.

I almost cried.

We've managed to narrow the list down a bit by making those extra columns (with folks we can still invite who probably can't come, giving us a fake buffer) and slimming down the "plus ones" column, but we've also had to make cuts. It's been hard, y'all. I don't like it.

I know that those of you who've been there will understand, and I'm asking for forgiveness for any feelings I may accidentally hurt. Please understand that we'd love to have all of you (and your plus ones) there, but it's just not feasible.

We appreciate it.

I promise a happier post next week! It'll probably involve cake...check back and see.

Til then...

2 comments:

  1. Okay, okay, I won't bring Boo, but Pico de Gato is really old and not very big. Just think about it. XO

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess I will not hold out hope for an invite. :( I will settle for pictures.

    ReplyDelete