Pages

Monday, December 30, 2013

Sneak Peek Week: Our Quilt!

In most areas of life, I'm fairly traditional. I like all that etiquette stuff and I abide by most understood, unwritten rules. Occasionally, however, there are things I just can't bring myself to accept as "done because that's the way it's always been done."

For example, the guest book.

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE the idea of keeping a record of who came to the wedding (matter of fact...I just love keeping record of stuff in general...unfortunately so does The Boy...we're doomed to a life of Excel lists and catalogs...but I digress). I don't, however, see the immediate practicality of a list of names hidden away in a book. I know myself, and so I know I'll never pull it out and look at it.

That's why I like the "new" versions of guest books - Pinterest has TONS. Jenga pieces, thumbprints, photo albums (one of my best friends used a coffee table book of our alma mater) - all great ideas. Plus, they're all useable, which means I'll have a reason to regularly look at the names of folks who joined us at the wedding!

That said, it did not take me very long to decide what I wanted to do for a "guest book." Those of you that spend any significant amount of time with The Boy and me know that we have one major difference - I'm eternally cold, he's consistently warm. It poses a problem when he wants to leave cool air running all the way into November (insane!).

So, to maintain relationship harmony, I stockpile blankets. Lots of 'em.

That, in addition to the fact that I grew up snuggling under a quilt my parents had gotten for their wedding, led me to the idea of a Guest Quilt.

It's a pretty simple concept: offer people scraps of fabric and fabric markers and have them leave notes, well wishes, memories, or just their names on their piece, then sew them all together to make a beautiful (and warm!) keepsake.

I found fabric I loved (patterned and solid), cut it into little squares, and will have it and pens ready for all of our fabulous guests.

This way, I have no doubt I'll be looking at all your beautiful names on a VERY regular basis. Can't wait to see how it all turns out!

Come back tomorrow to check out more details! 5 more days!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment