Pages

Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Wedding Wednesdays: Videography

Hi friends! Welcome back.

I'm just gonna start this one off with a disclaimer: I'm tired. Super tired. Whoa tired.

So if it seems like I'm phoning this one in...*motions you forward and whispers*...it's cause I am.

Possible explanations:
  • I've had two long weekends in a row - need to blog about those...was SUPER productive
  • Arkansas is determined to turn me into some kind of creature that breathes a mixture of ragweed & oxygen...it's not going well for either Arkansas OR my lungs
  • I got the flu shot yesterday which means I have Diet Flu (the fake stuff that feels just like the real thing!)
Guess it could also be all three of those...

Anyway, let's talk Wedding for a minute. A few weeks ago I talked to y'all about my AMAZING photographers. Other than Paul, they're quite possibly my favorite detail of the upcoming wedding. I know they'll capture our day beautifully.

In addition to photography, however, I'd also like some video of the day - the giggles in the dressing room, the sound of our voices when we say our vows, the toasts and the laughter at the reception - all things that can't be captured on with still photos.

The problem is...I kinda blew my budget on photography...plus some. So I was in a bit of a bind when it came to finding a solution for videography.

Enter the wonder of social media.

After perusing bridal blogs, wedding threads, advice columns, and the ever reliable Pinterest, I've found what I think will be an interesting solution:


There are several companies out there that will let you rent Flip cameras for the day in lieu of a videography team. You then mail the cameras back and they pull the footage off for you.

The one I've seen the most of is Wedit - they send you 5 cameras for 7 days, you record as much as you can fit on the cameras, send them back, and have access to all of your video via their online server - all for $400-$500. The problems I have with them are 1) they've started sending iPod Touches instead of Flip Cams...and I have trouble trusting that for some reason, and 2) any editing cost several hundred extra. So, we'd have video...but we'd likely go months before having the time to edit it, and even then...I'm not sure we'd really do it. Didn't seem like the best deal to me.

I found several other vendors who'd just send cameras for a week for super cheap, but again, no editing available. I was beginning to lose hope.

Then, I saw a discussion board post for Wedding Mix. They have a similar model to Wedit in that they send you cameras for several days then upload your footage to their database, but in addition:
  • You get access to their app, and can share it with ALL your wedding guests - essentially turning everyone's phone into a usable camera (any footage recorded through the app goes directly to their server for use in your video)
  • We can start using the app immediately and for as long after the wedding as we want (so we're not stuck with footage just from the days we have the actual cameras)
  • We (and guests) can also take photos to the app which are also uploaded to their server
  • They will edit a final video for us
  • We get access to all of their editing tools online and can also create our own custom video
  • They send us the footage as well as upload it (meaning no downloading!)
  • We get our edited video in a month (and can put in specific requests on formatting, music, etc)
  • All for the SAME PRICE AS WEDIT
Um, hello way better deal! So that's who we went with - and I'm actually kinda excited to see how it turns out.

I'll have the code to share with everyone at the wedding. I'll also have a coupon to share for anyone interested in using Wedding Mix for THEIR wedding. Just let me know!

Thanks for swinging by! Just 101 days to go now!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Alana!

    Just wanted to thank you for your interest in WeddingMix and give you the exclusive about WeddingMix's newest Facebook sweepstakes. We’re giving away an iPad mini, as well as a free $100 video package to one lucky couple! http://ow.ly/qwVBH

    We would love if you entered and spread the news about this promotion. Good luck with all your wedding planning!!

    Best,

    The WeddingMix Team

    ReplyDelete