Pages

Tuesday, January 22, 2013

And then I made Chocolate Cobbler

And homemade whipped cream.

But I did NOT go to the store. So...it's fine.

Wait, let me back up some.

I went back to work today. Now, for all intents and purposes, this was basically my first day back since December 21st. I mean, there were two whole work days in there somewhere, but then my body attacked me and bed rest happened and yeah. I missed a few days.

Anyway, today was my first day back. It went fine. Really it did. I just got super tired this afternoon. Apparently, if you "rest" for two weeks, your system gets annoyed when you jump back into an 8hr day at a fast paced advertising agency with very little warm-up time.

Plus, I also picked today to jump back into my "I'm going to be healthier" routine (since I'd kinda been ignoring it during recovery and why not restart ALL ROUTINES AT THE SAME TIME?!?). So, I operated today on ONE cup of coffe. One, guys. One. Geez.

Also, I had tuna and celery for lunch. And water. Lots of it.

When the year began, I had all these grand plans for getting back on track: 8+ glasses of water a day, high protein-low calorie meals, walking the dog more, boot camp classes two days a week, etc. Abdominal surgery kinda puts the kibosh on several of those.

You know what else does that? This:



Chocolate cobbler, guys. Chocolate cobbler.

This is Tena's fault. She told me to go home and rest. So I came home. I heated up dinner (more fish...), I sat on the couch, I cuddled the puppy...I opened Pinterest and...BAM! All "healthy" plans ruined FOREVER. All 'cause Tena posted this recipe (...and 'cause I have a major league baking weakness). And it's just so dang easy. And my day was just so dang long. And...chocolate cobbler, guys!

So, yeah...back to healthy again tomorrow. Til then, read on, drool, be jealous...and blame me for any and all mistakes you make in your plans today because of it...it's worth it.

Ingredients:
  • 1 c.all-purpose flour
  • 2 tspbaking powder
  • ¼ tspsalt
  • 7 tbspcocoa powder, divided (Try it with dark cocoa, trust me)
  • 1-¼ c.sugar, divided
  • ½ c.milk
  • ⅓ c.melted butter
  • 1-½ tspvanilla extract
  • ½ c.light brown sugar, packed
  • 1-½ c.hot tap water
Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 350.
  2. Stir together the flour, baking powder, salt, 3 tbsp of cocoa, and 3/4 c. sugar. Reserve the remaining cocoa and sugar.
  3. Stir in the milk, melted butter, and vanilla. Mix til smooth (it'll look kinda like brownie batter).
  4. Pour the mixture into an ungreased 8-in baking dish (I used my gorgeous new Emile Henry pie plate).
  5. In a separate bowl, mix the remaining 1/2 c. sugar, 4 tbsp of cocoa, and brown sugar. Sprinkle this mixture over the batter.
  6. Pour the hot tap water over all of it. DO NOT STIR.
  7. Bake for about 40 minutes (til center is set).
  8. Let stand a few minutes and serve with ice cream (or whipped cream* if you prefer). 
Isn't it pretty?!? That whole "let stand" step...yeah, didn't happen. Maybe you're stronger than I am. Maybe, however, you should just plan on burning your mouth, because OMG guys, THIS STUFF:

Can you see the gooey chocolate wonderfulness up there? Gah...totally worth the burnt tongue. 
Enjoy!


PS: Whipped Cream is REALLY easy to make. Whip (with whisk attachment) 1 cup heavy cream in a chilled mixing bowl on high til peaks form. Sprinkle 1 tbsp. sugar and 1/2 tsp. vanilla over mixture and continue to whip til incorporated. Done. 

No comments:

Post a Comment